Objectives and Competences
The studies of the grade degree in Nursing Science have been designed so that the future graduates:
- Acquire wide knowledge of nursing science, health science, human and social sciences, and to respond to the health requirements and expectations of individuals, families, groups and the community.
- Develop abilities for applying procedures of nursing care and practice guidelines.
- Develop the capacity to establish positive relationships with the people assigned to their care.
- Use scientific methodology in their interventions.
- Acquire the necessary instruments to develop a critical and reflective attitude.
On the other hand, the Ministry Order establishing the requirements for verification of the degrees required for the nursing professionals in charge of general care establishes a number of objectives that supplement and are compatible with the above.
- Have the capacity, within the sphere of Nursing science, to offer adequate professional and technical health attention to the health requirements of the people they attent, in conformity with the level of
development of the scientific knowledge at each time, and with the levels of quality and security established in the applicable deontological and legal regulations.
- Plan and offer nursing care to individuals, families or groups, aiming at results in health, evaluating their impact through assistance and practice guidelines that describe the processes for diagnosis, treatment and care of health problems.
- Know and apply nursing fundamentals and theoretical and methodological principles.
- Understand the interactive behaviour of individuals depending on their gender, group or community, within their social and multicultural context.
- Design care systems for individuals, families or groups, evaluating their impact and establishing the appropriate modifications.
- Base their nursing interventions on scientific evidence and the available means.
- Understand people, without prejudice, taking into consideration their physical, psychological and social aspects, as autonomous and independent individuals, making sure to respect their opinions, beliefs and values, assuring the right to privacy, through confidentiality and professional secrecy.
- Promote and respect the right to participation, information, autonomy and informed consent in decision-taking of the people concerned, according to the way in which they are living their health or illness process.
- Foster healthy life-styles, self-care, promoting preventive and therapeutic behaviour.
- Protect health and wellbeing of individuals, families or groups attended to safeguard their security.
- Establish an efficient communication with patients, families, social groups and colleagues, and foster education for health.
- Know the ethical and deontological code of Spanish nursing, understanding the ethical implications of health in a changing world context.
- Know the principles of health and social-health finance and adequately use the available resources.
- Establish evaluation mechanisms, taking into consideration the scientific-technical and quality aspects.
- Work with the team of professionals as basic unit in which professionals and other workers in health organizations are structured either in a single or multidisciplinary manner.
- Know the health information systems.
- Undertake health care based on the comprehensive health attention, which involve multiprofessional cooperation, integration of processes and assistance continuity.
- Know the strategies to adopt confort and symptom attention measures, addressed to patients and families, in the application of palliative cares which contribute to alleviate the situation of advanced and terminal patients.
Competences are the set of interrelated knowledge, attitudes, values, abilities and skills, which can be identified and evaluated, and which enable the student to undertake the professional activity according to requirements and standards used in the appropriate occupational area.
All grades of the University of Almeria explicitly cover three types of competences:
- Generic Competences included in Royal Decree 1393/2007 of 29 October, establishing regulations for Official University Studies.
- Generic Competences of the University of Almeria (approved in Governing Council 17 June 2008). These are transversal competences appearing in all degrees.
- Specific Competences of the degree. These competences are specified in the degree report, which are related to its own disciplines. Part of these competences may have been agreed at the level of Andalusia, or, in some degrees, they may have been decided at national level.
general competences, for all grade degrees, are defined in the Royal Decree 1393/2007, of 29 October, and are intended to lead the student to acquire general training, in one or more disciplines, aimed at training for undertaking professional activities.
- Students should have proved to have acquired knowledge in an area of studies based on general secondary education, and normally at a level which, although relying on advanced text books, it also has aspects which imply knowledge from recent studies in their field.
- Students should know how to apply their knowledge to their work or vocation in a professional manner and have acquired the competences which are normally proved by preparing and defending arguments and solution to problems within their area of studies.
- Students should have the capacity of collecting and interpreting relevant data (normally within their area of studies) to express conclusions including thought about relevant social, scientific or ethical subjects.
- Preparing and defending arguments and solutin to problems within their area of studies.
- Students should have developed the necessary learning abilities to undertake further studies with a high level of autonomy.
The generic competences of the University of Almeria (approved in Governing Council 17 June 2008) are:
- Knowledge, abilities and attitudes which enable understaning new theories, interpretations, methods and techniques within the different fields of disciplines, leading to best satisfy professional demands.
- Using Information and Communication Techniques (ICTs) as a tool for expression and communication, for access to sources of information, as means for document and data files, for presenting results, for learning, research and cooperative work.
- Capacity to identify, analyse and define the significant elements which involve problems for rigorous solutions.
- Understanding and expressing with clarity and conveniency the ideas, knowledge, problems and solutions to a wider public, either specialised or not (and feelings through words, adapting to the features of the situation and the audience to reach understanding and adhesion).
- The mental behaviour is what questions things and takes interest for the grounds on which one's own and other people's ideas, actions and thoughts are based.
- Integrating and actively cooperating in reaching common goals with other people, areas and organizatins, in both national and international contexts.
- Understanding and being understood orally and in writing not using one's own language.
- Capacity to think and act according to universal principles based on people's value and aimed at their full development.
- Capacity to design, manage and undertake a task by oneself.
- Respecting the fundamental rights and those of equality of men and women, Human Rights, democracy and culture of peace values, environmental principles and those of cooperation for development, which promote ethical commitement in a fair, free, intercultural and global society.
Specific competences Studies for the Grade in Nursing Science approved by the Ministry of Science and Innovation(according to order CIN/2134/2008 of 3 July, BOE (STATE OFFICIAL GAZZETTE) 174, 19 July, page 31680).
In the following link you can see the specific competences of the degree.
Competencias Específicas Grado en Enfermería (146 kb)