Objectives and Competences
The Grade degree in Public Management and Administration of the University of Almeria has the following central Objectives:
- Enable a comprehensive and interdisciplinary training of students that may harmonize the fundamental concepts, institutions and techniques of Public Management with the values and determining factors in the current process of globalization and Europeanization of higher studies, connection of progressive autonomous learning with the real labour demand, and modernization in efficiency of administrative services and structures.
- Know the basic theoretical and practical aspects of each one of the disciplines, through new methodological tools based on teacher-student interaction, using new technologies and diversification of the teaching-learning process.
- Involve students in a constantly renewing multidisciplinary training that may allow to transmit the characteristic values of university training to the labour market, both within public institutions and in the private sphere.
- Offer an adequate training, from both theoretical and practical perspectives, about the different mechanisms and tools of administrative, economy and finance management of public agencies.
- Offer students the necessary mechanisms and processes to project the knowledge, abilites and skills acquired into professional practice, and preparation of selection tests for entering the civil service.
- Offer the necessary theoretical and practical bases for an adequate professional performance, from the current complexity of administrative and para-administrative structures, and the current trend of primacy of the aspects of quality, efficiency and self-evaluation in the professional activity.
Competences are the set of interrelated knowledge, attitudes, values, abilities and skills, which can be identified and evaluated, and which enable the student to undertake the professional activity according to requirements and standards used in the appropriate occupational area.
All grades of the University of Almeria explicitly cover three types of competences:
- Generic Competences included in Royal Decree 1393/2007 of 29 October, establishing regulations for Official University Studies.
- Generic Competences of the University of Almeria (approved in Governing Council 17 June 2008). These are transversal competences appearing in all degrees.
- Specific Competences of the degree. These competences are specified in the degree report, which are related to its own disciplines. Part of these competences may have been agreed at the level of Andalusia, or, in some degrees, they may have been decided at national level.
General competences, for all grade degrees, are defined in the Royal Decree 1393/2007, of 29 October, and are intended to lead the student to acquire general training, in one or more disciplines, aimed at training for undertaking professional activities.
- Students should have proved to have acquired knowledge in an area of studies based on general secondary education, and normally at a level which, although relying on advanced text books, it also has aspects which imply knowledge from recent studies in their field.
- Students should know how to apply their knowledge to their work or vocation in a professional manner and have acquired the competences which are normally proved by preparing and defending arguments and solution to problems within their area of studies.
- Students should have the capacity of collecting and interpreting relevant data (normally within their area of studies) to express conclusions including thought about relevant social, scientific or ethical subjects.
- Preparing and defending arguments and solutin to problems within their area of studies.
- Students should have developed the necessary learning abilities to undertake further studies with a high level of autonomy.
The generic competences of the University of Almeria (approved in Governing Council 17 June 2008) are:
- Knowledge, abilities and attitudes which enable understaning new theories, interpretations, methods and techniques within the different fields of disciplines, leading to best satisfy professional demands.
- Using Information and Communication Techniques (ICTs) as a tool for expression and communication, for access to sources of information, as means for document and data files, for presenting results, for learning, research and cooperative work.
- Capacity to identify, analyse and define the significant elements which involve problems for rigorous solutions.
- Understanding and expressing with clarity and conveniency the ideas, knowledge, problems and solutions to a wider public, either specialised or not (and feelings through words, adapting to the features of the situation and the audience to reach understanding and adhesion).
- The mental behaviour is what questions things and takes interest for the grounds on which one's own and other people's ideas, actions and thoughts are based.
- Integrating and actively cooperating in reaching common goals with other people, areas and organizatins, in both national and international contexts.
- Understanding and being understood orally and in writing not using one's own language.
- Capacity to think and act according to universal principles based on people's value and aimed at their full development.
- Capacity to design, manage and undertake a task by oneself.
- Respecting the fundamental rights and those of equality of men and women, Human Rights, democracy and culture of peace values, environmental principles and those of cooperation for development, which promote ethical commitement in a fair, free, intercultural and global society.
Specific competences of the degree are included in the degree report.
In the following link you can see the specific competences of the degree.
Competencias Específicas Grado en Gestión y Administración Pública (300 kb)