Objectives and Competences
The fundamental aim of this syllabus is for students to acquire the necessary competences to undertake their teaching profession following the most accepted criteria and in conformity with the applicable regulations.
With respect to the above justification of the degree, we consider that the initial training should offer the future teachers theoretical knowledge, abilities, attitudes and enough contact with the profession and its practice, as the basis on which they can develop their profession. This development is an activity that last the entire teaching lifetime, and is influenced by the initial training received. So it should be mentioned that this training program is mainly professional, without forgetting the promotion of research work in the field of education. It thus underlines the importance that research, from the field of practice, has on the teachers professional work.
We consider it necessary to focus on training teachers as mediators between the social-personal development and learning, with the ability for encouraging personal, scientific and cultural training in their students as competent citizens to manage and exercize their rights and fulfil their duties in a democratic society. We therefore understand that the basic objectives of a degree intended to initiate future teachers in Secondary Education in their training for teaching should be the following:
- Encourage development of a global and analytical view of current social, cultural and environmental issues.
- Promote a positive and critical attitude towards development of the teaching professional identity.
- Integrate professional experiences with training processes, through critical thought about everything experimented or learned.
- Encourage colaboration with the rest of professionals in the education sphere and, particularly, with the management staff of the teaching centres.
- Promote the use of research processes in class as a basis of their professional development.
- Favour an adequate cultural, personal, ethical and social training for the teaching profession with the scientific rigour required for the teenage education sphere.
- Encourage understanding the relations among learning models, the school context and the didactic options required in action during teaching.
- Incite recognition, analysis and attention to the differential features of students, according to their evolutionary development, and family social and cultural contexts of reference.
- Know the specific teaching professional competences of each speciality and their relation to the rest of competences though transversality mechanisms.
Competences are the set of interrelated knowledge, attitudes, values, abilities and skills, which can be identified and evaluated, and which enable the student to undertake the professional activity according to requirements and standards used in the appropriate occupational area.
All masters of the University of Almeria explicitly cover two types of competences:
- Generic Competences included in Royal Decree 1393/2007 of 29 October, establishing regulations for Official University Studies.
- Specific Competences of the degree. These competences are specified in the degree report, and are related to its own disciplines. Part of these competences may have been agreed at the regional level of Andalusia, or, in some degrees, they may have been decided nationally.
- To acquire and understand knowledge: Students should prove to have acquired and understood knowledge beyond that acquired in the first cycle, which gives them and opportunity to be original in the development or application of ideas, often in the context of research.
- Application of knowledge: Students should know how to apply the knowledge acquired and their capacity for solving problems in new or nearly new environments within wider (or multidisciplinary) contexts related to their area of studies.
- Capacity of judgement: Students should be able to integrate knowledge and face the complexity of forming judgement from information which, although incomplete or limited, includes thought about the social and ethical responsibilities related to the application of their knowledge and judgement.
- Capacity to communicate and social ability: Students should be able to communicate their conclusions -and the knowledge and final reasons which sustain them- to specialized and non-specialized public in a clear and unambiguous way.
- Ability for learning: Students should possess the necessary learning abilities to allow them to continue cstudying in a mostly autonomous and self-directed way.
Specific competences of the degree are included in the degree report. Follow this link to access them:
Competencias Específicas (26 kb)