Objectives and Competences
The "University Master in Gender Studies": Women, Culture and Society offered by the University of Almeria offers specialized training in gender studies for women and men from different areas of knowledge and professional backgrounds so they can contribute to the equality of sexes and thus to a more egalitarian and fair society.
These are some of the most fundamental objectives of the degree:
- To know and reflect upon the theoretical foundations underlying Gender Studies from an interdisciplinary perspective.
- To offer conceptual, methodological and technical instruments that may allow to establish formulae to reach a more egalitarian and fair society.
- To promote the gender mainstreaming approach in order to place women on the same level of equality with respect to men in the different areas of human development.
- To contribute to training teachers, of different education levels, in matters of equality, so they can raise their students' awareness of the need to erradicate sexual the hierarchy which still exists from our society.
- To show formulae for deconstruction of sexist stereotypes in order to favour the development of new models of relation between men and women.
- To train for prevention and detection of gender violence in all spheres of society.
- To analyze and interpret, from the point of view of gender, historic, sociological, political, phylosophical, philological, artistic, educational, and other texts and contexts that may motivate our students to adopt a social and professional commitment in favour of equality of men and women.
Competences are the set of interrelated knowledge, attitudes, values, abilities and skills, which can be identified and evaluated, and which enable the student to undertake the professional activity according to requirements and standards used in the appropriate occupational area.
All masters of the University of Almeria explicitly cover two types of competences:
- Generic Competences included in Royal Decree 1393/2007 of 29 October, establishing regulations for Official University Studies.
- Specific Competences of the degree. These competences are specified in the degree report, and are related to its own disciplines. Part of these competences may have been agreed at the regional level of Andalusia, or, in some degrees, they may have been decided nationally.
- To acquire and understand knowledge: Students should prove to have acquired and understood knowledge beyond that acquired in the first cycle, which gives them and opportunity to be original in the development or application of ideas, often in the context of research.
- Application of knowledge: Students should know how to apply the knowledge acquired and their capacity for solving problems in new or nearly new environments within wider (or multidisciplinary) contexts related to their area of studies.
- Capacity of judgement: Students should be able to integrate knowledge and face the complexity of forming judgement from information which, although incomplete or limited, includes thought about the social and ethical responsibilities related to the application of their knowledge and judgement.
- Capacity to communicate and social ability: Students should be able to communicate their conclusions -and the knowledge and final reasons which sustain them- to specialized and non-specialized public in a clear and unambiguous way.
- Ability for learning: Students should possess the necessary learning abilities to allow them to continue cstudying in a mostly autonomous and self-directed way.
Specific competences of the degree are included in the degree report. Follow this link to access them:
Competencias Específicas (167 kb)