Interesting resources in the different stages along the research process. Reference management software.
The Library of the University of Almeria offers its researchers a comprehensive collection of scientific information resources.
Searching for information on scientific databases is usually simple: you have to launch a series of queries using key terms that summarize your need for information and the system returns a list of results.
If the library is subscribed to the journal, the database provides the reference and access to the full text. If this does not happen, we must search the journal title in the catalogue and check if we have access to it.
If our Library does not have the document you need, the Interlibrary Loan Service can get it for you In addition, do not forget that the Repository of the University of Almería gives access to the scientific production of researchers at our university.
One of the options for retrieving information from subscribed databases and electronic journals are alert systems. We can configure these alerts to receive relevant information in our email.
There are different types of alerts:
- Search Alerts: You can set an alert on a previously performed search, so that the database keeps the terms, periodically performs the search and sends the results to your email.
- Citation Alert: It reports whenever the database records a new citation to a particular article or author.
- Publication Alert: It sends an email notification with a summary when a new issue of a journal is published. You can also be alerted when a database begins to index a new journal in your area of interest.
Alerts example in Scopus
Reference management tools are computer programmes that allow you to have a personal database to store references that can be used to build up reference lists.
References may be entered manually or be imported from other databases, catalogues, files, .txt documents, etc. helping you save time. These programmes also allow you to share references among different people.
The main function is to create a personal database, so it is used to:
- Organize references: creating, modifying, grouping, retrieving, sharing, etc.
- Import references from catalogues and other databases.
- Build reference lists at any time using the citation style you need.
- Insert citations in an article or work while being drafted.